Are your family members not so keen on the idea of fermented foods? We’ve got a secret weapon that can get anyone interested- blueberry soda! And if they don’t like blueberries you can sub out strawberries, raspberries, any berries! Just make sure that they’re organic; conventionally grown berries are notorious for nasty pesticides.
- 4 cups organic blueberries
- 1 cup organic sugar, dehydrated cane juice or rapadura
- 1/2 cup whey or another starter culture
- 2 quarts filtered water
- Put your blueberries and sugar in filtered or spring water and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then strain out the blueberry pulp through a strainer or cheesecloth.
- Transfer your blueberry juice to a 2 quart glass ball jar
- Add whey or your other starter culture, lid with your GoFerment lid and let it ferment for at least 3 days. Look for visible signs of fermentation via a slight fizziness. If you’d like a less sweet soda, let it ferment longer as the bacteria will continue to feed on the sugars. You can go as long as 10 days but 5 days seems to be a perfect length of time. Don't forget to taste the soda as you go so you know what sweetness works for you and your family!
- Transfer your delicious blueberry soda to soda bottles if you have them, or any kind of flip-top bottle with a tight seal.
- Keep your bottles of soda at room temperature and check every day. Make sure to open the bottles every day to let some of the gasses escape. After a few days, you can move the bottles to your refrigerator where the fermentation will dramatically slow down.